If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (516) 334-2927

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Common Causes of Home Fires

12/29/2021 (Permalink)

No one wants to endure the effects of a fire at home -- and especially the water damage that comes from putting it out. In many cases, there are a ton of ways to prevent fires - and most of the fixes are fairly common! Below are just a few things that cause fires and a number of ways to prevent them from occurring in your home or business

Space Heaters

Like you, we enjoy the comfort that space heaters provide on chilly winter days. However, these appliances are a leading cause for destructive fires across the country. First, you need to keep anything flammable at least three feet away from the heater, as well as keeping items that can knock into it, far away. You should always turn off your space heater when you go to bed or leave the home. Make sure to set a timer if you’re going to be sleeping, and monitor the filter for anything that can cause a fire.

Dry Air and Flames

Since winter brings dry air, it's important to watch out for home damage that can be caused by fires due to dry air in your home. A fireplace screen is a must while enjoying your time near the heat. When the fire is done, place cooled ashes in a metal container and store them away from your home. Don't forget to put the matches you used to start the fire out of reach of children. Any embers, open flames or hazardous material that could help start or spread a fire should be brought outside of your home or safely suppressed.

Let’s face it -- almost everyone loves the smell of candles this time of year, but make sure the flame stays at least one foot away from anything that could burn or catch fire. The National Fire Prevention Association says that 11% of candle-caused home fires involved someone falling asleep while the candle was lit, so if you’re getting to the end of your evening, it might be a good idea to put out the candle preemptively.


Any appliance with a frayed cord poses a fire hazard and you should stop using it immediately. We recommend you take extra care with heat-producing appliances to ensure total safety. Microwaves, irons, dryers, hair tools and stoves should be turned off before you leave home. PLEASE REMEMBER, while you're cooking, the stove should never be left unattended.

When damage occurs to your home it's only a matter of time before the damage worsens.  Call us at 516-334-2927 to schedule time to speak with us at SERVPRO of East Meadow/Westbury and we’ll make sure that your damage is handled appropriately, in no time!  

Other News

View Recent Posts